Tuesday, May 20, 2008

is there anyone out there?

So, I've been thinking...

I re-played the podcast of the QRB discussion (it's currently at http://www.onthepodcast.net/ & http://www.onthepod.net/. -- thanks, Joe!) and started reflecting more on Stacey's question about my purpose and audience of Kairos Calling. The more I think about it, the more I realize that my purpose has been a self-serving one. Not that that's necessarily a bad thing. Many artists will tell you that their purpose is self-serving in nature. I've maintained an audience awareness from day one, but my mindset has been to write for me first, and if they get something out of it and respond, then all the better. And up until now, I've been ok w/ that.

But I'm starting to wonder if I'm doing a disservice to readers.

So, I'm asking for your feedback, readers (all four of you, haha).

Is there anything you'd like to specifically see/read on this blog, or want to know more about? Do you have suggestions for ways I can make it more interactive? Are there conversations you'd like to have that I'm not having? Or, should I just keep doing what I'm doing and maintain it as a blog solely devoted to the process and the craft?

I'm not sure what's going to come from it, but I'd definitely like to know what you're thinking, and appreciate any and all feedback. And, of course, I appreciate your readership and interest as well -- thank you.
ciao for now...

2 comments:

TS said...

I believe that everyone is meant to serve others in some aspect. You have an incredible gift in teaching!! It is great that you want to write as your full time job, but the university would be at a great loss if you were to quit teaching. As far as the web page is concerned... don't sweat the small stuff!! Remember why you started the page to begin with. Was it to inform and entertain? Was it to get what you were thinking out, and receive a response from others? You have all of that going for you now. If you start to worry about the little stuff, you will loose your voice.

Elisa said...

Thanks, t! I'm moved by the comment, and appreciate the support. I don't think I could ever quit teaching altogether -- I love it too much. But it's hard to balance the two (like being a full-time mom and student, I suppose...)

And wow, you're really smart w/ that rhetorical purpose, there... who taught you so well? (wink, wink) I especially love what you said at the very end: "If you start to worry about the little stuff, you will lose your voice." I couldn't agree more.

Anyone else?