Wednesday, March 24, 2010

spring fever

Friends and readers, I apologize for my unannounced absence from my blog. Last week I was on spring break, most of it spent working on the Why I Love Singlehood manuscript. This included enacting all the edits my writing partner-in-crime and I made during Christmas break (which may seem counterproductive, editing before revising; however, this has been anything but a conventional writing process, and it worked for us), a 2 1/2 hour phone call between the P.I.C. and me (the conversation went something like this: Me: So I have this note on page 213 that I assume made perfect sense to us in December, but is confusing the hell out of me now. Any ideas? Her: I think so, only if you can explain the notes I made on page 145...)

I can't even begin to tell you how great it was to flip through the pages of the manuscript, re-aquaint myself with the words and faces, and laugh out loud in the coffeeshop as I typed out new scenes that we wrote in the margins. We still have a lot of work to do, but our phone call also included giving ourselves a timeline to finish and even publish our book. So exciting!

The other big news: I finally bought a Kindle! After such a great conversation on Book Chatter with some really cool people (see it here if you missed it live), I couldn't wait another minute! So far, I'm really enjoying it, and trying not to blow my entire paycheck on e-books. And while there are definitely some aspects of print books that I would miss (I like to see how far I've read, or how many more pages I want to read, and call me crazy, but I like to smell books, and yes, I smelled the Kindle when I took it out of the box), the Kindle is a different, albeit pleasurable, reading experience. Now, if I can keep away from the Kindle accessories...

At any rate, spring fever is in full gear. I'm spending more time at the coffeeshop, near open windows, taking walks and composing in my head. Spring break gave me a glimpse of my ultimate goal -- to make a living as a full-time author. With every Kindle and print sale, with every positive review, I am one step closer to that goal. So close I can see it. It's lookin' good.

That said, we're at the point of the semester where everything is on fast-forward. I'll try to post here at least twice a week, so bear with me. And thanks for sticking with me so far.

Happy spring, everyone!

6 comments:

Elspeth Futcher said...

Yes, you worked on your manuscript. Yes, you bought a Kindle. But the highlight MUST have been our conversation!!!!

Seriously, well done on moving ahead. Seriously, I don't recommend blowing your entire paycheque on books. However, what's life without a little risk?

I all about the adventure. For other people. I'm a sitter and a watcher - which may explain my lumpy shape.

Elisa said...

Ah, Beth -- I can always count on you to check in. And yes, if I was reporting highlights, then DEFINITELY our conversation!!

:)

Julie said...

Just want to say how much a fan I am after reading both Faking It and Ordinary World within the last week - on my Kindle for iPhone app. I read them both so fast - couldn't wait to find out what happened next - that now I'm re-reading bits & pieces of both. Your writing is so refreshingly .. real! As if I'm reading someone's journal (which makes alot of sense, given your profession). I've already recommended both books to several friends and relatives. I've always wanted to write romance/fiction/mystery, but reading your books has encouraged me to start a journal. I'm looking forward to reading Why I Love Singlehood. I'll be keeping up with your blog -- I really like your title! Just had to send you a comment to let you know - you touched a nerve somewhere!

Rob said...

Hey Elisa,
Glad to see that the manuscript is making progress. Haven't gotten a chance to look at Ordinary World yet but I will be purchasing it soon. Looks like the Kindle craze has hit everyone. My friends are saving up for a Kindle as well. But, I don't think I'll ever get one. You can't beat the timelessness of real books.
:)

Elisa said...

Julie, thank you so much-- you just made my day! It's so interesting to see how the writing touches each person so individually. I've gotten comments about my dialogue in which people complained that "no one talks like that" (which, to me, is a compliment in disguise -- I don't want people talking the way we do everyday -- BOOORRRINNNGGG!!!)

And how cool that you are keeping a journal!! Totally psyched!! Keep in touch with me, and thanks for following the blog and for posting a comment.

:)

Elisa said...

Rob, I hear ya. There are definitely things I miss when I'm using my Kindle, like page numbers. Sounds like a silly thing, but it's hard to gauge how much you're reading in a sitting, and I like to have a physical sense about such things. Also tough if you want to go back to a page and haven't bookmarked it. (There may be a way to do it, but I haven't learned it yet.)

On the other hand, I feel like I'm reading more in less time, and I'm enjoying the novelty of it. Plus I'm downloading some great books (such as your own!) for fantastic prices! (even funnier, considering I had to first shell out 230 smackeroos to get a 99-cent book, haha!)

:)