Friday, July 24, 2009

what would you do if you had a million dollars?

Pay close attention to the question. It's not asking what you would have or buy or own with a million dollars, and it's not asking what you would do with a million dollars. If you had a million dollars, what would you do?

The common answer, I suppose, is "quit my job."
Ok, so you'd quit your job. Then what? What would you do in its place?

What I'm really getting at is, are the dreams and goals you've set for yourself at the mercy of a belief that you need money to manifest them? What's really keeping you from doing the things you want to do with your life, and what do you need to do to make them happen? What are you willing to risk, sacrifice, struggle with, do differently?

As for myself, I find that for the most part, I'm already doing exactly what I want to do. But there are some things that either aren't coming quickly enough, or aren't quite what or where I want them to be. And when I ask what's in the way, the answer can almost always be traced back to fear once the superficial layers of excuses are peeled away.

Now, consider these two quotes:
"Knowledge is only potential power. It becomes power only when, and if, it is organized into definite plans of action, and directed to a definite end."

and
"Knowledge will not attract money unless it is organized, and intelligently directed, through practical plans of action."


I'm a notoriously poor planner and organizer. I jokingly blame it on my Italian heritage, but I'm much better at coming up with all the ideas and then finding someone much more focused, detailed-oriented, and organized to make the idea happen. I wonder if my writing career would really take off if I was better organized in terms of publishing and selling.

What do I need to do to make that happen?

In the age of bailouts and expectations of being provided for and taken care of, I can't help but wonder if we're missing something. What's the plan?

So, what would you do if you had a million dollars? And what's your plan?

4 comments:

Mary Jo said...

What a great question! I would quit my day job and rent the cool neon blue bldg on teh corner of Main and Maple to host all day and some evening events for young writers. I told my son yesterday I want to rent that space and he said "So, why don't you?" Hmmm..
I would also travel to Ghana in West Africa for research for my novel-in-progress.

Elisa said...

So, Mary Jo, what's stopping you from renting that building and your trip to Ghana is a plan to make it happen? Get busy!!

Mary Jo said...

YES MA'AM!! ; )

Rob said...

I would quit my job, (no surprise there) and move to france where I would spend three weeks just soaking up the atmosphere, try some wines and laz about.